Monday 19 December 2011

Dior with no Marc......


Marc's Dior

Marc Jacobs seems to have ruled himself out of the running for the Dior job once and for all.

"I am at Vuitton, and I am very happy there," said Jacobs. "I've been saying that for a long time. There have been on-and-off conversations about Dior. I don't know; maybe someday in the future, maybe years from now, I may end up going someplace else, maybe Dior. But right now I am at Vuitton, and all that matters to me is that that's where I am and I'm going to keep doing my thing.

"The irony in all of this is that I don't dream of doing anything else, or I didn't. My greatest challenge is to do something better than we've done the season before. The idea of couture doesn't hold that thing for me. It's archaic - in my opinion. I mean, I am really interested in the craftsmanship behind couture. But I can explore all that in ready-to-wear. With couture, one dress each season is photographed by a couple of magazines; there's no advertising; it reaches 20 customers. I don't feel there is anything lacking in what we do. I get to work with these amazing craftsmen. Maybe not the same ateliers that would make a couture dress, but, again, we are not in a deficit for working with people who create beautiful things. I am not sure I ever looked at couture as this great opportunity."


And at Christmas time, when most people are celebrating with families, Jacobs has expressed his own views on togetherness. The designer has not seen his mother, brother or sister for 20 years.

"I hate this idea that you have to love somebody because they are your family," he told US Vogue. "Nobody can tell me what I'm supposed to feel and who I am supposed to feel it for. I don't blame them, I don't hate them, I just know that I don't feel love for them. That's all. And I am not going to make the call or try to stay in touch because society says, But it's your mother. Oedipus, Schmoedipus."

Updated Thursday December 15, 8.45am: With rumours circulating that Raf Simons is the new frontrunner for the Dior job, fellow designer Valentino isn't convinced he'd be the right man for to follow in John Galliano's footsteps.

"I'm not sure - it's an amazing job, I don't know if he would be the right person for it," Valentino told us at a private view of Anthony Souza's new photography exhibition this week. "John Galliano is difficult to replace. I think it's important not to jump into things. It needs to be a logical continuation of the brand. But who am I to say anything? I guess we all just have to wait and see."

Sourse: VOGUE - ELLA ALEXANDER 19 December 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment